Developmental Check Up

Yesterday, the babies had a developmental check-up as part of their NICU follow-up. These therapists did some exercises with the babies to check on their developmental milestone progression. 


Aria had a great time because the office had fantastic toys for her to play with.


Good news: the triplets are all on target with their actual age (not just their preemie adjusted age) and they won't be needing any physical therapy.

These ladies agreed with our pediatrician that Livi needs a helmet. You can probably tell by this picture:


Poor Livi was so smashed in the womb being "Baby A" on the bottom and holding up those boys.


The therapists suggested to also check Henry's head for a helmet when Livi gets fitted. Apparently, Beckett has a great shaped head for his age. I'm guessing this is because he was on top of Livi and Henry while I was pregnant, giving him more room than the other two.

Because of their head shape, we learned a couple of different stretches to help Livi and Henry turn their heads in the opposite direction of what they favor more often.


The triplets did a tummy time test and passed with flying colors! I have mostly been using the Boppy pillow the help them with tummy time, but the therapists informed me that it's too big. Instead, I need to role up a blanket and put it under their armpits so their tiny hands can touch the floor.


I was so relieved with the triplets' good report. I knew that all three are on track developmentally because both the pediatrician and Parents as Teachers informed me this was the case, but I still worry. I suppose, as a stay-at-home-mom, I always feel like I'm not doing enough for the babies. 

Not enough tummy time. 
Not enough play.
Not enough reading out loud.
Not enough conversation.
Not enough holding. 

So when professionals tell me that we are all doing a great job, I need to accept it and quit worrying. 


Our triplet life has been going well and we are still trying to keep Aria busy with special things for her so that it's not always about the babies. Besides her "Mommy and Me" dance class and pre-school once a week, she has also begun speech therapy.


Missouri's "First Steps" program has been a blessing because the speech therapist visits the home each week to work with Aria. We have already seen improvements in the last few weeks. She's always had great receptive and social skills, she just needs some help getting her words out.

I can usually understand what she needs, like when she wants to play dress up. But others don't always get the picture.



Speaking of therapy, I too have started therapy for my back. The triplet pregnancy really did a number on my body and I now have what's called Diastasis Recti (abdominal separation). During physical therapy, we work on strengthening my core and legs to help my back. The lack of core strength has kept me from running because it puts my back out. While I am working on repairing the damage, I can walk for exercise, but no running until I am healed.


That's all the new info I have for now. Have a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accomplishments of 34 Weeks

5 Month Camera Roll

And We're Crawling