What I Learned During the Polar Bear Plunge

What I learned from the Polar Bear Plunge

I learned that people will do crazy things to raise money for a great cause. 



I learned that people are good at heart.


I didn't learn, but was reminded, that I teach in a great district,



that has great students.


I was reminded how much I love my supportive husband and mom.


 (Mom not pictured, but she took some good pictures. )


I learned to dress warm before the plunge because there is a lot of hurry-up-and-wait.


Luckily Levi had extra blankets and coats in the car.


I learned it's just as fun watching people break up the ice to prep the lake as it is to watch the Polar Parade.












I learned that patriotism belongs everywhere we go.


I learned that it is truly fun to watch random people do stupid things.





I learned that before you can run into a freezing cold lake, you have to take off your big, warm clothes, then stand around and wait some more.



I learned that not shaving for a couple of weeks does not help keep your legs warm.




I learned that nothing can prepare you for running into a frigid body of water.



I learned that when the trained helpers in the water high-five you as you "swim" by ask you, "Are you ok?" that probably means you have a look on your face that says you think you're going to die.



I learned after the shock of thinking. "Maybe I will die", just to put a smile and your face and joke with each of the high-fivers and you swim by.


That made the last 40 seconds in the water way more fun than the first 20 seconds.




I learned that running as fast as you can once you're out of the water is your best bet.




I learned that the towel you bring for yourself is not the towel that you leave with.






I learned that I'm proud to be a Pleasant Hill Chick.


I learned that when people ask you, "Why would you want to do that?" the only answer is, "You only live once." (Or #YOLO)



And finally, the video...


Would I do it ago? Maybe. Probably not. But maybe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accomplishments of 34 Weeks

5 Month Camera Roll

And We're Crawling